Scientific Name: Petunia x hybrida
Common Name: Spreading Petunia
Hardiness Degree: 40°F (4.4°C)
Blooming Season: Late Summer, Spring, Late Spring, Summer
Plant Habit: Spreading, Upright
Characteristics: Attracts Bees, Heat Tolerant, Low Maintenance
Spacing: 12 - 24" (30 - 61cm)
Height: 16 - 22" (41 - 56cm)
Width: 30 - 60" (76 - 152cm)
General Information: Mountains of color in big gardens and containers! The biggest petunia series in the Ride The Wave family, Tidal Wave grows and grows and grows into an awesome, flower-filled hedge! These award-winning plants serve as excellent “screens” for unsightly air conditioners or to adorn wooden fences. They also work well in large planters. Space them 24 in. (60 cm) apart and watch them spread into an unbelievable groundcover!
Big, bold 3D colour!
Extend your season with this strong finisher – grown and marketed in 8-in./20-cm pots and baskets, Tidal Wave is the “go-to” for pros and home gardeners looking for fresh, fast colour. Hedge, vine or impressive groundcover – Tidal Wave does it all! These fast-fill plants spread out across big spaces, and they crawl along and over walls and fences.
Plug crop time: 5 to 6 weeks
Transplant to finish: Spring 6 to 8 weeks, Summer 4 to 7 weeks
Height, spread and spacing:
- Tallest and most vigorous of the Wave petunia family, Tidal Wave plants super-size colour into big spaces.
- Excellent landscape performer with terrific recovery from rain. The plants resist lodging, so they won’t fall open and expose a bare centre like other petunias can.
- Recommended in Wave branded packaging: 8-in./20-cm pots, hanging baskets.
Growth habit is based on how closely plants are placed – the closer the spacing, the taller the plants.
- Spaced a minimum of 12 in./30 cm apart, Tidal Wave petunias form a dense, mounded hedge, 16 to 22 in./41 to 56 cm tall.
- Grown in a restricted space with support, they grow an extra 2 to 3 ft./61 to 91 cm upward, like a vine.
- Spaced up to 24 in./61 cm apart in the garden, the plants make a floriferous groundcover, spreading up to 5 ft./1.5 m across per plant.