Scientific Name: Begonia x hybrida
Common Name: Foliage Begonia
Hardiness Degree: 40°F (4.4°C)
Plant Habit: Mounded, Upright
Characteristics: Drought Tolerant, Heat Tolerant, Colorful/Attractive Foliage, Low Maintenance, Shade Tolerant
Fertilize: Every two weeks
Spacing: 16 - 18" (41 - 46cm)
Height: 14 - 16" (36 - 41cm)
Width: 16 - 18" (41 - 46cm)
Exposure: Shade, Partial Sun
General Information: Low-maintenance item will tolerate shade, partial shade and dry conditions for great success in many locations.
Showy plants give a big “wow” factor – makes the neighbors jealous!
Plug crop time: 8 to 9 weeks
Transplant to finish: 5 to 6 weeks
- Easy-care, low-water plant blends beauty with durability to make dramatic mixed or solo containers.
- Fits into existing begonia plug culture; easier and quicker to produce than vegetative foliage types.
- More tolerant of stress than Rex begonias for less shrink.
- Retailers appreciate the longer sales window and versatility for outdoor container and indoor potted plant sales.
- Lets consumers extend their enjoyment by bringing plants indoors at the end of the season.
14 to 16 in./35 to 40 cm in shade, 12 to 14 in./30 to 35 cm in partial sun; may grow to 30 in./75 cm tall in hot/humid conditions