Scientific Name: Trachelium caeruleum
Common Name: Throat Flower
Hardiness Degree: 40°F (4.4°C)
Blooming Season: Spring, Autumn
Plant Habit: Upright
Characteristics: Attracts Bees, Attracts Butterflies, Attracts Hummingbirds, Heat Tolerant
Height: 30 - 42" (76 - 107cm)
Exposure: Partial Sun, Sun
General Information: Excellent choice for professional cut flower growers.
The Lake Collection offers simplified ordering and production to fill year-round orders. Long-day flowering varieties need 16 to 18 hours of daylength to flower and produce the large central umbel with smaller side umbels or “satellites.” Excellent vase life and good shippability. Foliage is medium green unless noted.
Stem length: 30 to 42 in./76 cm to 1 m
Planting density: 6 to 8 plants/ft.2 (64 to 84 plants/m2)
Best for: Greenhouse
Plug crop time: 7 to 9 weeks
Transplant to finish: 10 to 18 weeks
Lake Michigan Series
(Spring and Autumn-Flowering)
Lake Forest Series
- The greatest potential for year-round production in mild climates.
- Mid-season flowering (transitional Group 3) for mid-Winter to early Spring transplants to yield late Spring to early Summer flowers.
- May also be transplanted late Summer to early Autumn for Autumn to early Winter flowering.
Lake Louise Series
- Transplant in Autumn to early Winter for flowering in mid-Winter to early Spring.
- Transplant in late Spring through Summer for Summer through early Autumn flowering.
Lake Forest varieties are best for winter to early spring harvests.